6.19.2010

reality check

While on bed rest, I've been able to catch up on all my DVR'd shows as well as play around on the computer (haven't made it to my summer reading list, but will eventually!). Yesterday I was watching "Giuliana & Bill" which is a realty show about a celebrity couple who is dealing with infertility issues (they never reveal what they are exactly, just that they've been trying for a while to get pregnant). It shows them going through a failed IUI attempt and the stress and emotions surrounding that. After the IUI attempt, her RE suggests they try IVF. Giuliana becomes very concerned about the whole procedure and after hearing a little information about it, she decides it's too invasive for the woman and claims that she "could never go through that." I guess she ended up doing more research or speaking with people who have gone through it, because when I searched her name today, I found out that she is currently going through her first round of IVF - how quickly we change our opinion when presented with all the facts! To me, this was a very interesting perspective since I never really thought about it being too invasive on me - it was just the best route for Kris and I to take in order to increase our chances in one day possibly becoming parents. We met with specialist after specialist who all encouraged us to look into IVF and PGD and we are BEYOND pleased that we did so much research before naturally trying to conceive - it saved us years of heartache and disappointment and for that we are very grateful.

I'm not going to lie, it has been an invasive procedure (physically, emotionally, financially, etc) but we wouldn't change a thing (even now without knowing the final outcome). We have had confirmation after confirmation that we are dong everything in our power and doing all the right things (especially when the PGD results came back - I mean, who needs more proof???).

I understand that IVF is still a very private matter to most people but regardless of what our outcome is, I hope that with our journey, we will be able to provide some information for those ignorant people out there who continue to judge those of us struggling with infertility or conception issues and choose to go through IUI, IVF, PGD, etc. Some people like to say that we're "playing God" by doing IVF and PGD and that is their (hurtful) opinion, but for us, we feel at peace with this decision and believe that too many things have fallen into place for it just to be a "coincidence" or a "rash decision" on our part (for example, meeting with multiple genetic specialists who have proven a medical necessity for this type of testing, as well as having the top PGD in vitro clinic in Houston located minutes from our house... ). Kris and I realize that we might not be meant to have biological children, but I know that we have a strong desire to be parents and will go through whatever measures necessary (be it in vitro, adoption, whatever) to achieve it.

Thank you in advance for all your support these next few weeks as we wait for the results! XOXO

No comments: