6.05.2010

just a little prick



If it's not already obvious....my shots have started. We had our teaching appointment May 25th & that was a LOT of into to take in (how to "build" the syringes, combine meds, administer the shot(s), etc) - needless to say, it was quite overwhelming. The shots started June 1st after my baseline BW/US (bloodwork/ultrasound) appt. The nurse doing the US said that everything looked great and that if everything continues to work nicely, I should have a lot of mature eggs at the retrieval (let's just hope that they all fertilize and are "genetically good"!). According to my BW, Dr. H told me to take 75 IU of Follistim & 75 IU of Menopur (which, I've been told, is a lower than average dosage so I'm hoping that's a good sign).

Today I had another BW/US appt and the nurse doing the US seemed shocked at how my body was reacting ("wow, for such a low dose, you seem to be responding very well!") and some of the follicles on the eggs were much further along than is to be expected at this point. Yay! :) However, because not all eggs are maturing at the same pace, I was told to now start another daily shot (Ganirelix Acetate). This one hurt like hell (the meds are so thick that you can feel them going in & it stings for a few minutes afterwards) and bled a bit after removing the needle. I switch sides every night, but it still gets tender.

Almost immediately I felt a difference. Emotionally I am a wreck - I've cried at the stupid commercials with the oil-soaked animals, the MLB umpire Jim Joyce's apology for ruining that kid's perfect game, and I've also cried in Kroger after receiving a sweet text from a girlfriend. Tonight I started bawling after Kris came home with non-alcoholic wine and beer (don't laugh). Since I'm not supposed to be drinking, my wonderful husband has chosen to also stop drinking as a way to support me - how amazing is he????. He also has volunteered to come to my appointments with me, even when we had to get up at 7 on Saturday morning (most husbands don't go to the BW/US appts since there's really no reason for them to be there, but Kris wants to be a part of this and I can't even tell you how much this means to me ... getting emotional over here, sorry). Tonight, I'm starting to feel the physical effects of all the shots - I was told that I'd be able to feel my ovaries getting larger and that's exactly what's happening - pretty strange & hard to explain without getting too graphic (I'll spare you).

I have another appt Monday morning to see how my body is responding to all the meds and see if my retrieval/transfer dates need to be altered. I can't let you know how much I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. I feel so honored to have such wonderful people in my life - my husband, family, in-laws, friends, etc. Thank you for being so supportive in so many ways!

1 comment:

The Paradis Family said...

You are an AMAZINGLY strong person Natalie! Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress...and best wishes!!