10.31.2010

22 week update

Let me the first to say that this pregnancy is going WAAAAAAAY to fast! Where did the time go??? We have no baby furniture purchased, haven't organized anything, don't have a "nursery" (technically we know where it will be, but it's currently our guest room) & from the looks of our house, you'd never know that in a few months THREE babies will be here causing chaos! Guess we'd better get started .. these babies won't wait for us!

I have been blessed that at each appointment, everything continues to look good - even our OB is surprised at how smoothly things are going (thank you God!!). I've now gained 30 pounds, which according to my OB is on the "low end" for having triplets, so I guess that's a blessing since I (hopefully) have 2-3 more months to go! I just hope it all comes off as easily as it went on!! :) We continue to have at least 3 appointments and ultrasounds each month & each time we get to see & hear the heartbeats of our little ones. The babies are looking great & are super active (although I haven't consistently felt them .. it's starting to be more pronounced so I KNOW it's them .. still such a strange thought for me!). Their personalities are pretty distinct at the appointments so I'm curious to see if that's how they'll be outside the womb!

The babies are almost a pound each & by the end of this week, should be closer to 1.5 lbs and are as long as spaghetti squash (one of my favorite foods)! This week their lips, eyelids, and eyebrows are becoming more distinct, and they're even developing tiny tooth buds beneath their gums. Their eyes have formed, but irises (the colored part of the eye) still lack pigment. They also have fine hair (lanugo) that covers their bodies and the deep wrinkles on their skin. The pancreas — essential for the production of some important hormones — is also developing steadily.

Last week the babies started their first day of "school" :) The teacher in me is always looking for new ways to give my babies the "leg up" they need so when my principal told me about a product her daughter used during her pregnancy I wanted to do it too! The "curriculum" is called BabyPlus & is a belt I wear twice a day for an hour each time that plays various percussion beats. The "research" (not sure how scientific it is) is that other noises (ie classical music, etc) is too complex for the babies' brains to process so these sounds vary slightly from my heartbeat (the main noise they hear 24/7) and supposedly it helps stimulate the babies' brains to decipher the difference between my beat & the new sound. Claims include: babies who more readily nurse, have an increased ability to self-sooth, and are alert/responsive/interactive/relaxes as well as later on hitting developmental milestones sooner, enhanced intellectual ability, longer attention spans, improved school readiness, and greater creativity/independence. Who knows if this will even help, but it doesn't hurt and isn't an inconvenience so it's definitely worth a try - after all those claims, how could you not want to try it out??? I do know that when we "have school" I feel the babies move the most - even so much so that I can feel it with my hand! Only time will tell I guess.....

No appointments this week, but the next 3 weeks we will so I plan on resting up while I still can! Hopefully we will get more accomplished around the house & will at least have a crib or something for the babies to sleep in by the time they arrive! :)

No comments: