The suck/swallow/breathe reflex doesn't typically develop until the 34th week and the babies have been fed through a tube that goes through their mouth/nose. We have been working on introducing a pacifier and non-nutritive (a fancy way of saying breastfeeding that really isn't meant to provide nutrition, but to introduce the sight/smell/taste/feel/etc) during feeding times so they can associate the connection between stuff around their mouth and a full sensation in their tummies. Well of course they've been doing so well with those interventions that the doctor decided to start the "nippling" (bottle feeds) on their 20th day of life. They each started out with 1 bottle (the girls at 32ml & Brandon at 33ml). I fed Brandon & Cassandra while Kris fed Alyssa .. they ALL impressed us with how quickly they took the bottle & how much they ate (Brandon had 31/33ml, Cassandra had 32/32ml & Alyssa had 19/32ml)! I have been so fortunate to be able to pump enough milk for all three of them (the doctors have been very impressed & said I deserve a "gold star" & should teach a class on pumping .. anyone interested??) :) I hope I can keep up with these little angels!! Here are some pictures from that milestone!
Cassandra
2 comments:
Congratulations!! Your babies are beautiful. I also had an infection with my c-section and had the same thing happen. It was pretty gross. I hope the babies come home soon :O)
Christy
yay!!!
Post a Comment